As some of you may know I have been know to do a HRT Heart Rate (based) Training. Read months of running slow…very slow in my aerobic zone. Following my last half back in November I decided to go back to HRT once again. After completing another round of purely base HRT I switched to an 80/20 Half Marathon Training plan for my next half marathon. What is 80/20? Basically its running 80% of your runs at / below your Max Aerobic Heart Rate Training number. So yes I did continued to run 80% of my training slow. The other 20% of it was spent in my anerobic training zone. As the plan progressed that included things like hill repeats. This past Sunday I ran the Surfer’s Path Capitola Half Marathon a beautiful course that started and ended at the famous Boardwalk in Santa Cruz. The course took us passed several well known surfing spots (thus the name). As luck would have it the waves were not happening Sunday morning. Lots of surfers basically just wading in the water 🙁 However the view…still amazing. But the best part? I PR’d! Up until last November I had not PR’d a half marathon in a few YEARS. So yes you can be older AND still get faster 🙂 using HRT, as long as you give it time.
So how did it go?
First off I had NO planed goal for this race. My friend had to pull out earlier in the week so I was going solo and my eating over my birthday weekend and beyond was less than stellar. I wasn’t expecting anything other than enjoying the views and finishing. I was more than pleasantly surprised by the PR!
My plan: I decided to go with a 2:1 run/walk ratio. I did run the entire first mile just to break up the field of runners a bit and warm up. I also ran this race by Cadence rather than a pace. Why you may ask? Well just out of curiosity I did my last tempo run by cadence and it felt pretty good and my time wasnt too shabby. My cadence goal for running was 180. I’m very happy to say I nailed it! My walking cadence was around 124, personally I would like to see this go a bit higher, but that’s my new goal for the next race.
The course: It wasn’t super hilly, but it wasn’t all flat either. The unfortunate part was that most of the roads had a very noticeable slant to it. I did my best to stay on the flattest part of the road, however this wasn’t always possible.
My race: After the turn around (it was an out and back) I noticed I started passing people #winning
However by mile 8 I felt a twinge in my right knee. No,no, no…try to adjust my form, don’t get lazy, don’t slouch! However by about mile 9 the twinge turned more into pain. IT band related knee pain.
I continued to push through with the walk/ run. I had IT problems happen to me about 3 years ago during a race and I knew it wasn’t as bad as that time ( I hobbled to the finish line for that one, it was awful) so I figured as long as it didn’t get worse I could continue on.
Finish: I never looked at the time on my watch during the race. I just kept an eye on my cadence. In fact I didn’t realize I PR’d until I got home later, lol.
I like walk run because it helps me keep my HR down (however I don’t wear my Heart Rate Monitor when racing) I run by feel for races and I have to say I felt good during the entire race, knee pain aside.
So you might be wondering how one gets injured if doing HRT? I am 99% sure my IT band issues are from two things, and 100% sure none of it has to do with my actual HRT training!
1)Too much actual racing too close together
2) Not stretching enough.
I have done 3 “longish” races in less than a month. A nine miler, a double road race (8k followed 30 minutes by a 5k) and now this half. My body isn’t used to doing that much fast pace racing so close together.