Finding my happy pace in running AND life!
OK so for those who don’t know what the heck O.C.M. is (hey I didn’t until like November) O.C.M. stands for oil cleansing method. That’s all fine and nice but how about some details Darlena! Ok, ok.
Late last year, around the end of November, I decided to look into alternative ways to get rid of these darn breakouts I had been having. No one likes to have breakouts. Slightly embarrassing yes, but more of an annoyance because at my age I should not have to deal with acne and wrinkles!!! Can I get an AMEN! One thing at a time please Anyway I had tried a bunch of different OTC items, everything seemed to work for a while and then, blah, same old same old. I went to the doctor once before my hubby got home from deployment to see what he thought. Not too bad he said but gave me some antibiotics to help clear it up. A temporary solution for sure.
Anyway after much research I ran into this blog called Crunch Betty (you have food on your face). Not only is she quite funny (I love that) she also wrote a great article about O.C.M. (you can read it here) . Actually she wrote a follow-up one too which you can find on her site which is was also very helpful.
Anyway as crazy as it sounds (yes admittedly I was a bit desperate) I decided to clean my face…with OIL? What the heck? Putting oil, on a face with acne? Girl what in the heck do you think you’re doing? I know, I know seems a bit odd. But think about it for a second. What cuts through oil? Water? Um no! Oil cuts through oil.
I have now been using the oil cleansing method (O.C.M.) for about 2 1/2 months. After a bit of trial and error I think I have finally found the combination that is right for me. My skin is clearer, more moisturized and for the first time in a looooong time has a kind of glow to it. Now I have never nor will ever be known as the girl with the lovely skin, but even I have to admit it’s looking really nice and it feels really healthy and balanced. Score!
The Basics of O.C.M. :
-Find the right combination of oils for your skin (again Crunch Betty can give you a good idea of where to start)
-Mix the oils (I mix them nightly right in my hand) but you can pre-mix if you want.
-Massage the oils in an upward motion into your face for about 2 minutes. Did you notice I did not mention taking off your makeup? That’s right, because there is no need. The oil will do both the removal and the cleaning.
-Wet a wash cloth with as warm of water as you can handle and wring it out.
-Place the wash cloth over your face, I keep it there for about 30 sec, or until it feels cool, then I repeat 2 or 3 more times.
note: I will also sometimes put the oil on my face before I shower and leave it there so the shower steam helps it soak in, just keep a wash cloth handy to wet and remove the oil from your face.
- When I am done “steaming” myself (think facial, relaxing, warm) I use the cloth to wipe all the oil off my face. I rinse the cloth and wipe a few times. You know you have removed the extra oils when you feel smooth and moisturized, not greasy.
- I follow-up with a little witch hazel on any ance that appears, but honestly I don’t have very much compared to the almost daily battle before starting O.C.M.
I do this once a day, usually at night. I still use an eye cream after because hey I’m 40+ (ouch!) FYI: at night I use coconut oil as an eye cream
And there you have it. O.C.M. the runfyhp way.
Wondering what oils I use? Here is my oil blend but honestly it’s about trial and error for sure.
I was able to find all these
oils at Whole Foods
- Castor Oil (antibacterial properties, a great base or carrier oil) 45%
- Jojoba Oil (great for acne/oily skin) 5% – sometimes I skip the Jajoba all together
- Tamanu Oil (antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties, helps reduce and repair scaring) 45%
When I first started I used just Castor and Jajoba oils but honestly adding the Tamanu oil has made a big difference for me. I also just ordered some Sea Buckthorn Oil which is suppose to be great for your skin, we will see.
Two quick, yet important notes:
- Use organic and do your research on any oil you choose!
- It does take a bit of time, in other words it didn’t take overnight (and it took about a month to get the combination of oils for me right, but totally worth it!
Have you ever tried O.C.M.? What do you think?