** First let me say I am not a trainer, nutritionist or a certified anything.
I have completed 9 half marathons, numerous 5k’s to 10 milers. I also lift weights and I enjoy HIIT workouts. NONE of those things make me a bad person.
If you “run” in online fitness circles than I am sure a lot of you have been hearing negative talk about running lately, especially distance running. I sure know I have.
Running is bad for you, running will make you / keep you FAT.
Running is the opposite of healthy?
Although I have read numerous articles the thing that bothers me the most is the Runner Bashing!? Now first of all let me say I believe everyone has their idea of healthy and fit. And just like “un-fit” body types, in my opinion, there are also many “fit / healthy” types. I like to think I fall somewhere in between the runners and the builders. If you’re a fast-ass distance runner (not me btw) and that’s your passion than you’re not going to need / want a ton of muscle bulk. On the other hand if you’re a beast in the weight department and that’s your passion than distance running is probably not for you. Are either wrong…NO, NO, NO!!!
Let me explain. As far as running goes for me…
- I love the way a good run makes me feel. A speedy short run to a long slow distance run
- Sticking too and completing a multi-month training plan takes determination and persistence. That not only includes time, but sometimes that time is really, really early or cold, or hot, or humid (or all the aforementioned)
- Crossing the finishing line of a half or full marathon is a high that people who have not done it cannot understand
- To get to that finish line I must be diligent in fueling my body properly to get there
- my heart is healthy as a horse. My doctor said “You must be a runner” when she listened to it
- if I didn’t love it, I would stop doing it
Now on the other hand I also like….
- Lifting weights. It makes me feel strong
- HIIT training makes me sweat like a beast….and I like it
- Watching my body change is very satisfying
- Getting my body to physically change takes determination and persistence (hmm that sounds familiar)
- To get change I must be diligent and fuel my body properly for the process (again…familiar?)
Do I personally want a more “fit” looking physic? You betcha, but what I consider “fit” may not be what you consider fit, and you know what…THAT”S OK!!
So I guess what I mean is that I think its time to step back and give each other a pat on the back because whether you run or lift or both:
- your ass is not sitting on the couch
- if you are running or lifting or whatever, you are taking a lot more interest in your health than someone watching tv and downing a bag of Doritios
- who said one body type is the perfect body type?
- Can’t we just all get along 😉
- And most of all “Are you finding your happy “Healthy” pace in life. If you answered yes, then your on the right path for YOU!!!!!!
Just as the world has many different colors, nationalities and faiths of people, so does the fitness world have many, many different types of “fit”. Is one better than the other? I don’t think so. If we were all meant to look and do and be the same, I am sure God would have made us that way.
Oh and did I mention I enjoy yoga? Yup I do. Hope that doesn’t make me crazy? And lets not even get started on my “unhealthy” love for cupcakes, lol.